How to create a Desktop Shortcut in Windows XP
To create a shortcut to a programme, and display the shortcut on the Desktop, do the following:
- Click the Start button on your desktop
- From the Start menu, locate the "All Programms" item
- Move your mouse to the programme you want to create a shortcut to. In the image below, we've gone for the Home and Learn Web Editor
- Right click on the menu item to see a new menu appear:
- On this menu, locate the "Send to" item
- On the Send to item, Left click on "Desktop (create shortcut)":
- When you left click Desktop (create shortcut), a new shortcut appears on your main screen - the Desktop.
- Double click your new shortcut to test it out. You should see a new window opening, and the programme will start
Now that you've had a bit of practice with your mouse, we'll move on to exploring the files and folders on your hard drive.
We'll start with the Hard Drive itself.